What should I do about a problem at work?

Legally, it’s normally better to act quickly because any changes to your contract or working conditions could become permanent and if you don’t do anything you may be seen to be accepting any changes, even if you’ve said you don’t agree with them.

It’s a good idea to write down your concerns and anything that happens. This will be useful as a record and reminder of the situation.

If you can, it’s often helpful to get advice so you know where you stand. Your employer may be entitled to do what they’re doing and you may not be able to do much to change it. On the other hand, your employer may not be entitled to do what they’re doing, and you might be able to use your legal rights to change things. There are lots of places you can go to for advice.

If you’re a member of a trade union, you should contact them to see if they can help with your problem at work, before trying to find help elsewhere. There might be a union representative in your workplace, or you might need to contact your local branch.

You can contact Citizens Advice Hyndburn on 03444 889 622

Or Lancashire Women’s Centre on 01254 871771

The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (Acas) can provide confidential and independent advice to help you sort out your employment dispute. You can get advice by calling their helpline or looking on their website.

Telephone: 0300 123 1100
Text Relay: 18001 0300 123 1100 Website: www.acas.org.uk.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterShare on Google+Pin on PinterestShare on LinkedInEmail this to someone